Motorcycle Customer Assistance Guide
Collecting your Motorcycle:
- If travelling on a long haul international flight we highly recommend that you collect your motorcycle the next day.
- Present your DriveAway Holidays voucher, a full valid Motorcycle driver’s licence and a credit card for the security bond.
- The motorcycle rental company will prepare a Rental Agreement (RA) and your voucher will be credited to the (RA).
- Check your voucher as to what is included. It is likely some additional charges not covered by the voucher will apply.
- It’s important you fully understand any of the charges shown on the (RA). Once you have signed and initialled your acceptance on the (RA), the charges will be debited from your credit card and are non-refundable.
Insurance Excess Terms:
- Rentals include Collision Damage Waiver Insurance (CDW), Third Party Liability and Theft Protection (TP).
- An Excess is usually applicable in the event of any accident or theft to the rental vehicle, regardless of fault. The excess amount varies between countries and motorcycle suppliers.
- The following items are not covered by insurance for your rental - For full terms and conditions consult your supplier’s (RA) at the time of collection.
- Damage to tyres (flat tyre)
- Damage or Theft of personal belongings
- Damage caused due to negligence or unauthorised drivers.
- Lost keys
Insurance Excess Terms:
- Additional liability cover offered by the motorcycle rental company is optional.
- Please check the conditions on your Travel Insurance policy and ensure this provides coverage for motorcycle rental and hire as not all insurance providers offer coverage for this product.
Local Excess Reduction Insurance:
- At the point of collection - you may be able to upgrade your motorcycle insurance or reduce your obligation for the Excess; you can purchase Excess Reduction cover directly with the motorcycle rental company at an additional cost. When signed for, these are non-refundable. If you are sure you are adequately covered by your Travel Insurance you can DECLINE this additional cover on the Rental Agreement (RA). Please make this clear to the Rental Agent.
Security Deposit / Bond:
- Motorcycle Rental Companies will require a security deposit / bond at the time of collection. This security deposit / bond amount will vary and will generally equate to the value of the excess liability.
- Suppliers will only accept a valid credit card for the security deposit / bond.
- The deposit is DEBITED from your credit card at the time of collection and it’s important to have sufficient funds available. This may affect the credit available on your credit card for several days after the motorcycle has been returned.
- Some suppliers may also charge a credit card surcharge on the security deposit / bond amount and therefore the Credit Card Holder will need to be present at the time of collection.
- Cash, Debit Cards, Travelex or pre-paid credit cards are NOT ACCEPTED as payment for the security deposit / bond.
Pre-Paid Fuel Option:
- Most motorcycle rental companies provide a full tank of fuel and will charge you for refuelling the vehicle if it is not returned with a full tank.
- By accepting the pre-paid fuel option you are agreeing to pay a pre-determined price for fuel regardless of whether you return the vehicle with a full, partially full or empty tank. This alleviates the need to search for a petrol station just prior to return, but there is no refund for any fuel remaining in the tank. If accepted, the amount to be charged will be printed on your Rental Agreement (RA).
- In the event of an accident or theft, please report it immediately to the motorcycle rental company. Refer to your Rental Agreement (RA) for the assistance phone number.
- In all cases obtain registration plates and licence details as well as names and addresses of those involved in the accident. The information should be passed onto the motorcycle rental company and a copy kept for your own records. A police report may also be required.
Unused Days: Once the rental has commenced, there is no refund for unused rental days or if the motorcycle is returned earlier than booked. Note: motorcycle rental staff are NOT authorised to amend this contractual condition. We strongly recommend you are covered by adequate Travel Insurance in case of unforeseen circumstances.
Terms & Conditions: For general conditions, cancellations and no-show fees, see the Terms and Conditions section here or the DriveAway Holidays’ brochure. Conditions apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any one way fees (i.e. pick up at one location and drop off at another location)?
A. Generally one way rentals are permitted within the same country. There may be restrictions, minimum hires and extra charges that will be advised at the time of quotation / booking. Once the motorcycle has been collected and you wish to change the drop off location, you will need to contact the supplier for permission; additional costs may apply.
Q. What do I do if I wish to extend my hire whilst overseas?
A. Please contact the motorcycle rental company for a quote on the cost of the additional rental days. Be sure to ask for the total cost inclusive if insurance and taxes and make a note of the person who has advised the information. In some instances the rental company will suggest you contact your Travel Agent or DriveAway Holidays to arrange for a new voucher to cover the extra days. Payment should then be made to DriveAway Holidays and a new voucher is issued and faxed overseas to cover the extension or new rental.
Q. Where can I drive my motorcycle? Are there any restrictions?
A. Motorcycles must be driven on sealed, well-maintained roads only. Any travel on gravel roads, beaches and other non-public roads voids all insurance Vehicles collected in the USA generally cannot be driven into Mexico without prior authorisation. Conditions apply. Travel into Death Valley is generally not permitted between the months of June to August due to extreme weather conditions. During these months, clients travel at their own risk.
Q. Can I take a motorcycle on a ferry?
A. Generally the motorcycle will not be covered for any damage whilst it’s on the ferry. Refer to your Rental Agreement at the time of collection.
For additional Frequently Asked Questions on Motorcycle Rentals click here.
Last updated 29 November 2017. All information is correct at time of print & subject to change without notice.